I promise I wont write as much as I did last week and kill you all with my long winded missionary experiences! haha.
First, Im stayin in here with Sorella M. Thank goodness.
Alright. So the Muslim woman, M. is so cool! We went over to her place for pranzo and come to find out she lives in a a one bedroom house with two other girls from Morocco that are our age, F and H. They are not related, they all just met here in Italy. Like me and Sorella M. We got there are she immediately started cooking the cous cous in a giant Arabic looking pot on the stove. THEN the music turned on and the girls started dancing. It was so cool. F and H only speak Arabic so they kept to themselves and just blasted their Arabic music and danced and danced and danced, whipping their hair around and doing these weird little kicky things. It was so rad. M poured this really good soup type thing over the cous cous and brought it out in a huge platter about 2ft by 2ft with no utensils and NO plates. Sorella M and I just looked at each other and gave each other the "LETS DO IT" face. We sat on the floor crossed legged, and we all ate cous cous all 5 of us, with our bare hands like animals. Apparently, this is how you do it and you roll the cous cous into a ball in your hand. For some reason, the two American girls could NOT do it. haha. Sorella M and I got cous cous all over the floor attempting to make them into balls. There were a lot of laughs around that bowl of cous cous! LOTS of them. At the end of the meal I had cous cous on my ankle, on my skirt, down my shirt, and on my eyebrows. It was a dang good time. There was a really good spirit there. Five women all from different backgrounds and countries, without their culture, language or family, sitting on the floor eating cous cous with our hands laughing, and talking about the God of Abraham.
M. believes in prophets and to her, God is everything. Its dangerous to teach Muslims, but we are trying. Just carefully, you know. Shes interested! She wants a Book of Mormon in Arabic.
I told you about A. M. right? The one whos got a brother whose a member in Rome? We saw her this week. We taught her the Plan of Happiness. That woman is PURE GOLD. Shes so darling. Just happy, and kind always. I asked her what she thought our relationship with God was, and then explained to her the pre earth life. I said "A.M., before this life we lived with God" her eyes got HUGE and she said "really? I never knew that!" and she was 110% sincere. Shes also super funny! I was explaining the Celestial Kingdom and she said "So thats Los Angeles, right?" and laughed so hard! haha. Shes a treat. But we have one problem - her husband. He doesnt want us around and it makes it hard for her to get to church.
I think I told you all about the Canadian woman I met on the street too right? I cant remember. My tired brain is failing me. We ran into her cousin, M. R., who lives in our palazo and she told us to come over for coffee. So yesterday we did! We just had coke instead. ha. So when we got there this woman just cut right down to the chase and said - I wanna know what you guys believe in. We taught Restoration and talked about her religious ideas and stuff. She said "I like that you pray to God, I think it must be right that way. I mean, Padre Pio is just a man, why should I pray to him!?". It was a breath of fresh air to me. MUSIC to my ringing ears! Shes wonderful. And she wants more. Were going back tomorrow morning.
There has been an incredible miracle with me and this language. Somehow, somewhere, the flip switched. I understand everything! Here and there I dont understand a word, but thats normal. When people speak to me, I dont translate in my head or have to strain to listen perfectly, it just comes in my head and I understand. I dont know how, but it is. Prayer and fasting do work. Now its time to work on speaking as well as I understand.
Language study with out Italian Anziani is interesting. We have two, C and F. F is passionate, fiery, sassy, but is sweet and patient and has a huge heart (classic Italian characteristics). C rules with an iron fist. Hes from the borders of Germany, so he smiles less, and is very open with his dislikes towards Americans. Sometimes I walk out of our study and feel like I just drank a glass of salt water. However, its working. Im getting there! And understanding much more.
We had English Corse last night and it was a hit! We had about 40 students of all shapes and sizes and it went really well. At the begining we introduced ourselves, the missionaries. And everyone was from Utah, and then it hit me at the end. I told them I was from Los Angeles and the entire room gasped. Classic. Someone shouted "THEN WHY ARE YOU HERE?" and everyone laughed. Good question, right?
This transfer I studied the Christlike attribute of "charity and love" and it changed my life. I am 100% a different person. My entire perspective of missionary work, and how to live life has changed. I believe that charity and love are the meat, the heart, the core, of this gospel.
I love Italian culture (most of the time). Its so deep and so thick. They just have such a different way of life, and a different way of thinking. I dont know what I am going to do when I am not in this little Italian world. When I dont look out the bus window and see fields and fields of vineyards, or walk into the store and the old man behind the counter says "CIAO BELLISIMA!". Im not going to know what to do when my life day doesnt stop for one meal in the middle of the day. I realized the other day that I am totally a part of the culture now. I used to hate pranzo, I thought it was so stupid! Now I think its essential, that eating food can be a sacred experience, and quite frankly, I dont want anybody bothering me . Now whenever I see a lady friend I kiss each cheek and call her beautiful. AND I talk with my hands. What do I do you guys?
I wear punjab pants, I like egg salad, I am growing white hairs all over my head. And reading the Book of Mormon is my favorite hobby.
I love you all. More than I can say.
Sorella Jobella
the district
the artist at night, drawing padre pio
my sfoglie so GOOD!
No comments:
Post a Comment