This week has been crazy.
Starting with last P-day*, we hiked Mt. Vesuvius. Its a really cool volcano that is still active it was smoking a bit. And you could see all of Napoli and the Mediterranean. Needless to say, it was gorgeous.
I was in our apartment from last Thursday to Sunday evening. Sorella Wr. got really sick. And Monday morning, she went to Rome to fly home. So, now its just me and Sorella W.
I spent a lot of time with Sorella Wr. when she was sick. I didn't really understand what was going on untill I was able to spend time with her. As I helped her and spent time with her, my heart grew. All of the sudden, I understood what pain she was going through and I was able to help her. The coolest thing happened, one night was we were planning I was able to read Sorella Wr. really well and somehow I was able to give her really good advice. I don't think it was me. I don't even remember what I said. But I know that it helped her. Im thankful Heavenly Father gave me the chance to be a better instrument in his hands. That's all I want, and its difficult since I cant really speak Italian. It was beautiful to be able to do it in my own apartment, in English. A blessing.
This branch is fantastic. Its held together by strong individuals with incredible faith. Im so not used to Italian culture yet. When we have "discussions" in Relief Society* it sounds like they're fighting. And I just cant figure it out. Are they fighting or are they just talking? Oh man.
Ill be honest. Italian is so hard for me. Its maybe one of the biggest struggles Ive ever had. Here I am, far far away in a foreign country, essentially alone. Im here because its where I should be, I know it. And God knows it too! But theres one problem - I cant communicate. And its so not me. Im a communicator. And I love these people so much. Ive never in my life wanted something more than to be able to speak Italian. Im working hard, and I have faith. I just need patience. And I need your prayers.
The work has been slow this week, really slow because of the situation with Sorella Wr. I don't have much to say about it really. Except that we have a few people that are ready to be taught and Sorella W. and I are ready.
Yesterday we had a lesson with our Anziani with their neighbor. It was so beautiful. We taught her about the restoration. She cried. I think she knows that its true. The spirit was so incredibly strong in that room is was overwhelming. The Anziani are passing her to us, so Im thrilled to have her. Good good things ahead.
Today for our Pday our entire district and Sorella K. (our mission presidents wife) the Steurs (the assistants to the presidents) and Evan (our ward mission leader) and Alfredo (he is our church organist, maybe one of the coolest most sweetest men I have ever met, hes catholic. he just likes Mormons and wanted to do us a favor... hes just been doing it for 8 years! hahaha he hosted this trip.) went to the Amalfi Coast. It was way touristy! Everybody was speaking English and looked wealthy - it really threw me off. Amalfi is unreal gorgeous. Its so incredibly picture-esque. My favorite part was the Cathedral. It was half Roman half Arabic and it had the most beautiful mosaic pictures of Jesus made with real gold. Crazy cool. It looked like it was from Constantinople.
I love you all with all of my heart.
Sorella Jobella
*P-day is a "preparation day" for missionaries. "See that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength" (Mosiah 4:27). P-days allow missionaries to take care of their personal needs. They could write their family and friends, wash clothes, get a haircut, clean their apartments, shop, wash their car, etc. They use this day to prepare so that they can give their full attention to proselyting during the rest of the week.
*Relief Society is oldest and largest women's organization in the world. Learn more about it here: http://mormon.org/faq/relief-society
1. top of Vesuvius im pointing to the smoke
2. me with the Sparta greek painting man in Paestum
3. We went to Alfredos house and he fed us a ricotta and peach cake SO GOOD!
Please forward this to the beautiful Sorella:
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, I am so excited for you and for the adventures you have already experienced and will yet embark upon! You are doing a courageous thing, my dear.
Secondly, I know exactly what you mean by wondering if the Relief Society is discussing or fighting! Argentines have many ties to the Italian culture, and later down the road you will be surprised by how normal their fun quirks will be to you. I know I heard this when I was struggling to express myself, and maybe you've already heard it too: don't worry about what you can't say. Just concentrate on making sure the people feel the Spirit. I was shocked when the hermanas currently serving in my first area told me how well the people remembered me. At the time I had been frustrated that I couldn't make them laugh and I thought they didn't see the real me. A simple testimony does wonders. A smile does miracles, and you've got a wonderful one!
You are more of an influence on the people than you realize. Believe me, you'll discover it later down the road and it will be a wonderful thing!
Love, Hillary (formerly Hermana) Miller