The President K's house in Rome is a palace. Mousallini built it for his niece, so you can imagine its views and interior and such. President Kelly is great. Hes so sweet. He and his wife are wonderful, I dont think Ill have any problems with them, ansi. While I was at the Kellys I got the envelope and I recieved my assignment. I found out that I am assigned to the Napoli mission. Its a big deal. I say this, becuase its Napoli. Which isnt the best area. Its the birthplace of the Mafia. Also, because sisters havent been here in a really REALLY long time. 20 years or so. The APs* that were next to me got really big eyes when I said, "Napoli. Im going to Napoli!" They said "Wow... Hey, youre going to get really good food!" haha. OH boy.
So we take the train from Rome down to Napoli. Rome is incredible. Well, incredible is an understatement. Its old, its ancient but its alive. The colors of Rome are breathtaking. All of the buildings are tan/brown/gold/yellow/bronze against the vibrant green of the trees and grass. Everything grows here! The air is heavy and wet and alive.
So, we take the train down to Napoli the ride was long. 3 hrs. And the views were incredible. Right as we stepped off the train we were grabbed and it freaked me out! I turned around to see a little cute lady with no teeth smiling at me yelling at me in Italian! hahaha... Her name is Mama Maria and shes a member. Let me tell you, this woman grabbed and squeezed and kissed and pinched my cheeks till I was blue. Then there was another woman who did the same thing, Sorella B. who did the same. Love her guts. Just love em. So great.
The branch here has about maybe 30 active members or less. All of which love us and are so exited to help us. We had testimony meeting on Sunday and it was beautiful, these people are faithful and passionate.
Everything reeks of Catholicism here, everything. Crucifixes and Madonnas everywhere. The bells, everything. But I look at it in this way -these people have had very little light, very little truth, yet they hold to it and stick to it and are so incredibly faithful. To me, it blows my mind. I cant imagine what theyd all be like if they all had the truth of the restoration of the gospel. It makes me exited to do what Im here to do.
The people here have been deprived of sisters and have been praying to Heavenly Father for them day and night. And here we are. Were their answer and not only did they get two - they got 3.
Napoli is not glamorous, its not historic. Its hot, and its grungy. But the people are gold. Just pure gold. And theyre ready for the gospel I can feel it. During the day the air is sticky and warm, the catholic church bells ring every hour. During the night I eat gnochi on our porch and I watch the little rat Italian kids no shoes no shirts play soccer, the air is warm and smells like ciggars.
Weve only been here a week and the work is already booming. We visted our neighbors with brownies( they love Americans, American girls, and American sweets - they love brownies). We only knocked on 3 doors and 2 out of the 3 were families both interested in our message and both have appointments to meet with us. Is that not incredible?
Lastly, the language. The people here speak "Napolitano" which means... everything that I ever learned in the MTC just went down the toilet. I cant understand anything. They slur their words and chop them, they just chop it. And they yell when they speak and they slice their words with their hands. They chop! hahaha. Everything is dramatic here.
P.S. They love me. They love my white teeth and my height, they love that Im an American girl in Napoli who cant speak italian but tries. All the women kiss here. Its called Bacci where you kiss on each side of the cheek. Sometimes it make me nervous Ill miss and hit their lips! But wouldnt that kinda be exiting? Bo. Never mind.
I love you all so much. I thank God for my family in my life. Everynight when I pray I fight back tears because I feel so blessed. And when I teach the plan of salvation in my broken Italian I show them a picture of my family and with tears in my eyes tell them that I cant imagine my life without my family, I belive in a God that loves families. And loves my family, and loves their families.
Sorella Jobella
pictures of my views
1. view from one side of our apartment
*APs are missionaries who are "assistants to the [mission] President".
And I thought week 6 was good. Wow! Sister Jobella is awesome what a Girl! Great sense of humor - wonder where she gets that. ;-)
ReplyDelete